Sunday, April 18, 2010

East Coast Getaway

This past week, we returned from a 5 day trip to Amelia Island, Florida. Eric had a conference to attend, so it was a perfect opportunity for Virginia and I to tag along as well. We stayed here, at the Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island. It was beautiful! The resort was so elegant and classy. (if that can be said about a hotel) The service was top notch. Anytime we needed anything or had a question, the employees would go above and beyond to meet our requests. Now, it's back to reality and not having my breakfast delivered to me every morning.

Virginia learned how to stick her tongue out the day before we left. She enjoyed sticking it out at me on the ride down!

We were hoping to take Virginia out on the beach for the first time, but the weather didn't cooperate. Even though it's April and very warm lately, that wasn't our luck on Amelia Island. I think it was warmer in LaGrange than Amelia Island. The temperature stayed in the high 60's to low 70's all week. The wind was blowing about 15-20 mph, which made it a tad bit chilly.

Do you see how windy it was?

Virginia could hardly open her eyes for the wind!

Thankfully the Ritz had an indoor pool that was heated, so Virginia got to experience the pool for the first time.

I like to call her "cool cat" when she has on her sunglasses.


Swimming with Daddy! So fun!

Look Mommy! I'm splashing!

Yea! We're swimming together!


Sweet baby girl!

Can you tell we had fun in the pool? And that we couldn't get enough pictures/video of her first swim? I'm not ashamed and will probably be glad I took so many pictures, when I'm old and grey.

Can you tell I was a little ticked with all the kids kicking and splashing all around my baby? I now know how mama birds and bears feel when they think their babies are being threatened. Eric says it's because I haven't been in a classroom all year and that I haven't been able to get on to kids. The kids left soon after I got in the pool. Maybe it was all my teacher looks I was giving them!

Since we were in a hotel room for 5 days, feeding a baby food is hard without a high chair. My sweet mother-in-law found this seat before Virginia was born and it sure came in handy this week! Maybe next time I need to find one with a tray that will hold her in! Virginia was a wiggle worm in this seat. It did the job and that's all that matters.

Can you tell that she was all over the place?



Amelia Island is really called Fernandina Beach, Florida and is quite a historic place. One afternoon we all went exploring around the island. Downtown Fernandina Beach is so picturesque and beautiful. We picked up a local map to help us navigate our way around the downtown area. The map listed all the shopping and historical places. While looking at the map we noticed a house that we had to find! Can you guess who lived here?

Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking, that's who! On the map it said, "Pippi Longstocking's House," also known as Villa Villekulla. This house was used for the filming of the 1988 version of "The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking." Eric and I were beside ourselves when we found this! We both loved the Pippi movies growing up. We were hoping to catch a glimpse of Pippi, Mr. Nilsson, Old Man, or even Tommy and Annika. No such luck. All we saw was a rather large woman sitting on the back porch. Hopefully that's not what Pippi turned into. I would be so disappointed.

It was nice to get away together, but we're happy to be back in our little routine! Have a great week!








No comments:

Post a Comment