Yesterday was Earth Day and we celebrated by going green. Most cities have a curb side recycling pick up service, but LaGrange does not. While out exploring the city one day, I came across 2 recycling "dumps." One is right around the corner from our house, and it inspired me to do my part.
No, I'm not a tree hugger or environmental nut, but I do realize how much waste is caused by throwing out things that could be recycled instead. I knew that we needed a bucket of some sort to store our recycling in, so I hit up the Dollar Tree. I bought 3 small buckets to sort our trash into categories. One bucket for plastic, and the next two for aluminum and glass. I could've gotten more buckets, but I thought about what we consumed the most and narrowed it down to those three. After a little labeling with the paint pens, here's how they turned out.
Cheap and easy! My kind of crafting!
Next, I gathered all the trash that could got in our recycling containers. I washed the bottles, jars, and buckets, so they wouldn't be smelly.
After everything dried, Virginia awoke from her nap to help with the best part. Filling up the buckets! She loved the sounds that the bottles and jars made as they hit the buckets. You can see what she enjoyed doing more than anything!
Remember, I washed these!
Another way that helps the environment and helps me, are cloth grocery bags. Some of you may have these laying around your house and never use them. I did that for the longest, but once Miss Priss came along, I needed an easier way to haul the groceries in without making a million trips to the car. Here is a small stash of bags that I have acquired and use on a regular basis. The hardest part is remembering to take them with me to the store!
Hopefully our green day has inspired you to think about this lovely planet God has blessed us with, and do your part.
| Then God said, "Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves. They will be masters over all life--the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the livestock, wild animals, and small animals." So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them. God blessed them and told them, "Multiply and fill the earth and subdue it. Be masters over the fish and birds and all the animals." ~Genesis 1:26-28 |
Way to go green! And what a fun "activity" for her. I ALWAYS forget to take my publix bags in with me!!!
ReplyDelete