Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Traditions


Does your family have any particular Christmas Traditions? My family would always eat at Waffle House on Christmas day. Mostly because we were traveling that day, and Waffle House is the ONLY place open!
Eric and I have our own traditions at Christmas, since we've been married. Each year, we get an ornament for the other. Some of the ornaments have funny stories to go along with them and others are just obvious. For example, last year Eric got me a fish ornament. I was puzzled when I opened it. He then reminded me of the McDonald's commercial that I love. It's the one where the mounted wall fish sings, "Bring me back that filet o' fish!" I love our ornament tradition. I'll enjoy explaining each one to my children one day.
Now that Virginia is old enough to really enjoy doing things, we decided to start a "Georgia" Christmas Tradition with her. Macy's department store, at Lenox Square Mall, in Atlanta has a famous Pink Pig. What is the Pink Pig? Well, here is an excerpt from their information page........

"From it's 1953 debut as a children's ride at the downtown Rich's store to it's brief stint at the Egleston Children's Hospital Festival of Trees, four generations of Atlantans have ridden Priscilla into the holiday season. And, millions have worn "I Rode the Pink Pig" stickers with pride. The brainchild of the late Frank Pallotta, who is also credited with conceiving the Rich's Great Tree, the original Pink Pig--Priscilla- gave children an elevated view of the store's toy department for a small fee of 25 cents. Later, another pig- Percival- was added and the two could be found on the store's roof, encircling the Great Tree. Now an all new Priscilla will carry on the family tradition beneath a 170 foot, 1950's Pink Pig Tent at the Lenox Square upper-level parking deck. C0-sponsored by The Coca-Cola Company and Macy's, the new ride travels along train tracks to carry children and parents through a life-sized storybook that includes the original Pink Pig and her friends."

With that being said, we decided to take Virginia to the Pink Pig ride in Atlanta. Since Eric was off on Christmas Eve, we decided to take advantage of some family time that day. I knew the crowds would be awful, but surprisingly, we didn't have to wait long for the ride. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story....

(P.S. Some of these pictures are low quality. We were inside and the lighting was, well, pink!)

Waiting in line for our turn on the Pink Pig

This is as close as Virginia would get to the person dressed up as Priscilla Pig.



One of the original cars that carried children around the toy department at Rich's


Daddy and V. Ready to ride the pig!



I love this picture of VB and Eric. Seeing her sitting in that train seat, she looked like such a big girl! And all that hair! Woo!





All she kept saying, beneath her paci, "Choo-Choo! Ride!"



Not a great picture, but love the expression in her eyes!

Waving at ourselves in the big mirror

2 things she would not let go of the whole ride: her paci and her ticket!

Yeah, I was a little exited too! :) Mostly from seeing the joy this dinky little ride brought my daughter.




And so, the tradition begins. That is, unless we're out of town, or for some strange reason we can't make it up to Atlanta on Christmas Eve day. What a fun time it was! If you're going to be in Atlanta any time before January 2, go check out the Pink Pig. Even if you aren't 17 months old, you'll still love it! And, you don't have to have a child with you to ride!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun. I've heard others talking about the pink pig. Hope y'all had a merry Christmas. By the way, I have those exact same boots. They are super comfy!! :)

    ReplyDelete