Now that I'm a Mommy, I get to come up with new and yummy recipes! I believe that gifts from the heart are the best gifts this time of year. Something that is homemade and has thought put into it, is so special. Therefore, I've been a busy bee working in the kitchen making edible, homemade gifts.
Last year I made Cinnamon Honey Butter. Got the idea from my favorite blogger Mommy, the one and only, Darby! I didn't make any pictures last year, because, well, I had a 5 month old who needed my constant attention. This year was a little easier. I got my recipes from the new Southern Plate cookbook by Christy Jordan. My Mom introduced me to Christy Jordan and her blog, Southern Plate. Once we began reading her blog, Mom realized Christy had a cookbook. (This is not the current edition, but one that came out a few years ago. Spiral bound, and much smaller!) Mom ordered one for the both of us. I've loved cooking out of it. I got Mom the updated Southern Plate cookbook for her birthday in October.
While we were home for Thanksgiving, I finally got to look at the new cookbook. SO many new and wonderful recipes. I secretly wanted to take the book from Mom, but it was hers and I'm not an Indian giver! :) I did get 3 recipes for homemade Christmas food gifts from the cookbook. Two of them are what I made this year as gifts for people.
The first is, Peach Fruit Crisp. I've made peach, blueberry, and apple fruit crisp this year alone. LOVE me some fruit crisp. I don't know if it's because it's so stinking easy, or if it's just so stinking good! Either way, I love it!
Fruit Crisp Mix
1/2 cup flour (all purpose or self-rising)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oats (quick cooking)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
One 29 oz. can sliced peaches
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl until well blended. Place in an airtight plastic bag and seal. Package with the can of peaches and the following instructions.......(see picture for instructions!)
This recipe calls for peaches, but you could use blueberries or apples. Any fruit would probably be good, except for bananas! :)
The next recipe I made was Hot Chocolate Mix. Sadly, I have not tried this recipe first hand to know if it is as yummy as the fruit crisp. I really hope my recipients find this hot chocolate mix tasty. If not, they probably won't look forward receiving food gifts from The Blackman Bunch anymore!
Hot Chocolate Mix
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1- 8 quart box instant powdered milk
1- 6 oz. package powdered coffee creamer
1- 2lb. box powdered chocolate milk mix
1- HUMONGOUS mixing bowl (no lie! I mean BIG! Maybe 2 or 3.)
Sift (who in their right mind likes to sift anything?!) the confectioners sugar into a large bowl. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Divide into 1 cup servings and place in airtight plastic bags. Seal and attach following instructions.....(0nce again, see picture for instructions)
Side note.......I had to use my LARGE soup pot, large mixing bowl, and another medium sized mixing bowl. Maybe I did this wrong, or possibly copied this wrong from my Mother's cookbook, but wow! You'll have hot chocolate mix for the neighborhood! (Darby has a hot chocolate mix too. Maybe you won't need a 5 gallon mixing bucket for hers!)
Most of these goodies were made for Eric's co-workers and employees. I'm sure he loved carrying all these bags into work, filled with treats! Maybe he felt like Santa, passing out all these presents! Merry Christmas and happy eating!
And who wouldn't want to love on this little muffin? She sure is sweet!
She was on the Today Show this week, I think...my weeks are running together with the holidays. Did you see? She was hilarious!!
ReplyDelete