Laundry, cooking, cleaning, bathing, changing (everything), shopping, loving, hugging, kissing. Do any of you have these descriptions under your job title? I do and I gladly accept all of them as my duties. That's the life of a mommy. Whether you're a stay-at-home mama, like myself, or a working mama, those duties fall into your category if you like it or not! I'm very thankful that I can stay at home and tend to our house, but most importantly, take care of and nurture Virginia. God has blessed us so that I can be the mom I've always longed to be.
This past weekend, we celebrated Mother's Day. Eric's parents and sister were up and it was so nice to have them in our home. I know Eric was proud to have his Mom here for Mother's Day. He and Virginia made my first Mother's Day very special and one I will never forget. I am so blessed to have 2 women in my life that I can call Mother. My own Mother (whom I got to celebrate the weekend before Mother's Day) and Eric's mom. Two loving and gracious women who are leaving a legacy of Christ to those around them. I am thankful for the example that they are to me.
Laundry is just one of the duties a mom has to take care of. Maybe your husband or children (if they're old enough) also help out with laundry too. Eric usually leaves the laundry to me and I really don't mind. Lately, I've had some help..............
She's actually a good helper! She loves to find the socks and wave them around. I can't wait for the day that she can help!
I've been reading a book that my mother gave me called, "Taking Care of the Me in Mommy," by Lisa Whelchel. You may have heard of Lisa Whelchel before. She was on a little show called "The Facts of Life." She played the beautiful Blair Warner on the show that ran through the 80's. This book has really taught me that I need to nourish my spiritual and emotional self to become a better wife and mother. In one of the chapters on prayer, it offered suggestions on when and how to pray during the day, for your family. One of the examples happened to be during laundry time! Here's an excerpt from the book:
Folding Laundry Prayers
- Husband's undershirts- Pray for integrity.
- Your nightgowns- Pray for unity in marriage.
- Son's pants- Pray for physical protection in all his roughhousing and tumbles. (Don't have a son, but good to know!)
- Daughter's shirts- Pray for modesty.
- Socks- Pray for God to be the Lord of their lives from the top of their head to the soles of their feet.
- Panties and briefs (or as my husband says, Your Draws!)- Pray for purity, protection, and future reproductive health.
As I fold our laundry, I want to remember these tidbits on prayer. Even though folding laundry seems like a meaningless task sometimes, find joy in the simple things in life. And while you're at it, pray for someone or something as you do it. God wants to hear from us at all times of the day, not just at mealtime and bedtime. I hope you find special and unusual times/tasks that remind you to talk to God.
Can you tell she had just woken up?
Linds, thanks for sharing the laundry prayer tidbits. I was in need of that!
ReplyDelete